music and talk and whaddaya no

March 06, 2005

it's down to me


View From a Room with a View Late at Night

Here I am on a late Saturday night, or early Sunday morning, however you look at it, at 3:45 am in the morning, doing my remote observing at Arecibo. Counting the seconds until I can rest my head on my pillow and all I think about is BED and SLEEP and AHHH. T-minus 1 hour 15 minutes.

So I'm pretty pumped. Going to catch the Futureheads at Richard's on Richards on Monday night. Luckily I picked up the last five tickets at Scratch. It should be fantastic.

Picked up the new Fiery Furnaces EP a few days back. Blueberry Boat was one of my favourite albums from last year, so I was fairly excited to have more. To tell the truth I was not completely impressed at first with EP. But a few more listens later, giving me the chance to reaquainting myself with their world, and I was hooked. In fact, I like it more with each listen. There are a couple of not-so-amazing tracks here ("Duffy St. George" comes to mind) but nothing here in particular really makes me ill. In fact, it all makes me happy, especially "Cousin Chris". It's no Blueberry Boat, mind you, but for an album released so quickly after their last, it's pretty damn good. And it sure as hell is not an EP length (10 songs, about an hour of music). But I'm certainly not complaining about getting more Fieries than I expected.

I know you're all keeping a detailed log of my "in the changer" albums, and notice that they've changed. And assuming you're all keeping accurate records, you'll have noticed that one album remains from last time. That album is the Reigning Sounds' Too Much Guitar!, and this is where I have plucked this post's tracks from. That's right, plural tracks:

The Reigning Sound - If You Can't Give Me Everything and Funny Thing   So here is yet another reason for me to appreciate early Rolling Stones and 60's garage rock in general: they directly inspire bands today that sound like this. I just couldn't decide which song I should choose to represent this great album. So here are two offerings. Singer and principal songwriter Greg Cartwright's vocals are simply awesome. The band is also great -- Too Much Guitar! is not an understatement. Everything, right down to that truly DIY guitar "solo" on "If You Can't Give Me Everything", makes me smile. Enjoy and tell me what you think. (You can purchase it at Insound)
Comments:
Those tracks were solid man! :)

I love the rock ballet-esque feeling of If You Can't Give Me Everything, also there is some sweet harmonica going on in that track... very cool.

I am glad you put up Funny Thing as well, these two tracks taken together certainly help me understand how diverse the bands sounds are. This track seemed like some blissful mix of genres whose names I won't venture a guess at ;)

Good stuff, very enjoyable tracks :D
 
although i have been known to rock out i'm not so much of a rock music lovah. that said, i really enjoyed FUNNY THING. good stuff mister.
~che
 
Post a Comment

<< Home