music and talk and whaddaya no

March 27, 2005

move on up, towards your destination


It seems so empty now...


This week was pretty standard, until Thursday. That's when I lost my fish. They've moved on. They had some type of harmful bacteria or fungus, that, in the end, they just couldn't shake. I tried very hard to cure them of it. I bought treatments, did frequent water changes, but finally they gave up. Sorry, guys, I really tried. It's kind of sad, actually. I had them for about 3 years, and they've been healthy, and had grown quite large. I was pretty proud of myself for this, and was sort of getting attached to Junior and Deux (their names). But I guess they did lead a pretty long, fruitful life, by most other goldfish standards, or so I'm told. I may get new fish, but probably not until I move in the summer. It'll be kind of weird to have the tank empty.

This past Saturday, I went to see The Kills last night at the Red Room. Wow. It was one of the best shows I've seen in a long time. Their stage presence is huge, intense. This is amazing for a band consisting of only a guitarist/backing vocalist, another vocalist who sometimes played guitar, and a drum machine. Hotel had this stare that was utterly mesmerizing, and VV was HOT. Not hot as in simply attractive, but hot, as in sweaty, sultry, transfixing, and just plain sexy. Their chemistry onstage was spectacular. They played off each other so well, constantly increasing the sexual tension, and fucking rocked the whole way through. When they played "I Hate the Way You Love (Part 2)", they sang at each other, face to face, their vocals drowning in a sea of guitar and feedback. It was euphoric. Please do yourself a favour and see them if they come into town (*COUGH* Horseshoe Tavern April 7 *COUGH*); I know you won't forget it.

Next week will be great. I'm doing three shows in three days. My ears will thank me. I'm going to be catching Dizzee Rascal at the Commodore on the 30th, Stars + Feist + Apostle of Hustle + Montag at the Commodore on the 31st, and Death From Above 1979 + Controller.Controller at the Red Room on the 1st of April. It will be great. I'm looking forward to all three shows. I'll tell you all how they went.

I also bought the M.I.A. album, Arular, this week. "Hype" is an understatement when it comes to describing the lead-up to this release. The fact that the release date kept getting pushed back only added to the anticipation. I have to say that I will not be one to partake in the perhaps inevitable backlash due to all this hype. The fact is that this album is fantastic. It is a truly unique mix of styles from various places around the world. It packs a punch, too, both musically and politically. One of the best of the year so far.

Interstellar - Panting and Kissing and Rain Snow Sleet Hail   I found out recently that Denis' group, Interstellar, was nominated at the Canadian Independent Music Awards in the Favourite Electronica Artist/Group category, alongside the likes of Chromeo, Kid Koala, Sixtoo, and Vancouver's Sekoya. Although Sekoya walked away with the award, this was great news to hear, and is quite an accomplishment. Congrats, guys! The tracks I've included here are two of my favourites off their latest album, ToDreamToSleepToWake, a great record which all of you should check out, by the way.(You can purchase it from Tonevendor)

Comments:
I'm interested enough to comment. sorry about the fish. I've always found them to be trouble-continuous deaths from ICK (real disease I promise). But you DID impress me with your care for them-be happy for that. See you in a week dude!
 
I guess they had a happy life... you sure treated them well after I abandonned them. Thanks so much for that... I just wished I could see them again because, like you said, we kind of get attached to those bubbly things!
I guess no more filtering 20 liters of water will give you some free time!
Thanks again...
 
You know about getting new fish. My 2 new fish Rastafai and Rastaquare they are not fun. Junior and Deux. THEY were the best!!!!!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home