music and talk and whaddaya no

March 14, 2005

you give me friction


Typical evening shower chez Rob

So I go to have my shower this evening, and much to my chagrin (to put it mildly), when I attempted to slide the shower doors over, they fell apart, leaving no barrier between me and the inside of my shower. First let me apologize to my flatmates, who no doubt heard me shout pretty much every low-brow word that one uses to express frustration and anger in such a situation.

Now, like I said on my first post, I don't want to bore you with mundane facts about my life... BUT. This is where I unload, because you know what? This concerns everyone who is a renter: to have the shower door collapse in my hands is not what made me fume. In fact, under normal circumstances I would probably have even laughed. No, what made me angry was knowing it will take my landlords a least a week to fix it, and that in the meantime we have to either shower at school, or live with a wet bathroom floor everytime we shower. Let me tell you about my landlords. The quick three-word description: stupid, lazy, and cheap, and negligent. OK, I realize those are four words, but believe me, there are a few choice words I did manage to leave out.

The problems we've had since moving here are numerous. From day one, the washer and dryer are broken-fixed-broken-fixed-etc.; the deathtrap they call a back step -- I almost broke my leg there once; having unsafe electrical sockets for the longest time; losing power for days in our living room; not having hot water for four and a half days before they came and actually had it running again, leaving us to shower at school. The list goes on. But you can put your life savings on the fact that they will be there to pick up rent on time. That, they're punctual for. That stupid smirk I get when I give him the rent cheque. By far the worst landlords I have ever had, and every day I am reminded of this. The location of our place is so awesome, right near the beach, and near lots of shopping, and food stores (not to mention Zulu Records), and they know that, and take advantage. I'm sure their dryer is perfect, their fire escape safe, and their hot water running without four-day interruptions. It's people like that that fuck up the world for the rest of us. If anyone can think of a subtle, yet effective "fuck you" to sign off to these slumlords with when we move out (after getting our safety deposit back, of course), please share.

OK, done. Now then. I was at the Futureheads show last Monday at Richard's on Richards, and they did NOT disappoint. Unfortunately, they have only the one album, so they only played those songs, a couple of new ones, and a Television Personalities cover (along with the Kate Bush cover on the album). But they were full of energy, got the crowd going, and their trademark harmonies were just as great as on the album. I recommend going to catch them if you can.

The Screaming Eagles - Dingo Dink and Enter Tip   Also, last night I had the distinct pleasure of going to the see the one and only Screaming Eagles play a set at the
Butchershop, an art gallery that also hosts many events and shows by some very cool bands. The Eagles rocked as usual, of course. A couple of their newer songs have vocals now. The dream is now a reality! If you are in the Vancouver area, do yourself a favour and see them. Seriously, they are great. Truuuust me. Their website is linked on my sidebar here, and they will post dates as they arise. There should be something coming up in April, so keep yourself informed. Check out the tracks I've linked to above, and send the comments. Enjoy, and Cacaw!
Comments:
Okay.. I am finally ready to comment on these songs. I don't like to form an opinion on music too quickly because sometimes it just needs a little time to grow on you.

I really like both of these tracks, the music is very rhythmic and appeals to some Indy sprit I hold deep within me.

Unfortunately during both songs -particularly in Dingo Drink- I find myself waiting for lyrics. The music seems destined for vocals and it is a bit jarring to realize that there are none to be had.

Despite this the music is very enjoyable :)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home