music and talk and whaddaya no

April 17, 2005

i haven't got the time time


Not sure why, but I'm a big fan of the view from Cambie bridge in Van City


Not much to say this time around. But my first review for indieworksop.com is now on the web. They are a solid, quality, unpretentious e-zine with some good writing to boot. Check it out.

Some killer shows are starting to creep up on me here in Vancouver town. At the end of April, we have the Weakerthans with the Constantines. I'm there. In May, we get Out Hud. Out Motherfucking Hud! Count me in. LCD Soundsystem with M.I.A. Damn, I want to go so badly. It's like 40 bucks though. I'll have to think about it a bit more. In June, I can't believe how good it will be. Get this: Spoon with the Clientele on the 17th, and Built to Spill the very next day. Both are musts. Those tickets will, I have a feeling, go very fast. So you can bet that I'm on that like bling on P-Diddy. Unfortunately, I'll be missing some key shows at the end of May. Bloc Party, back after a sold-out gig, and a killer lineup for the other show I'll miss -- Caribou (formerly Manitoba) + Junior Boys + Russian Futurists. It pains me to know I will be missing that show. I've seen the Man Formerly Known as a Province twice now, and it's a fantastic show. Go see them if you can. Oh well. at least I'll be in Montreal (hopefully) checking out Deerhoof.

Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti - Jules Lost His Jewels and Crybaby   This guy may be odd, but dammit if he doesn't write the catchiest tunes. These are two of the more instantly enjoyable songs off the re-release of Worn Copy, although for me, most of them are. The album is great, maybe even better than The Doldrums, his last Paw Tracks release. His music sounds like lost gems from decades past (thanks in no small part to the super-low-fi recording quality) that were slightly too eccentric for their time. Here's hoping the Ariel Pink re-releases continue, and maybe that some new stuff will come soon, too. (You can purchase it from Paw Tracks)
Comments:
Hey Rob, great site. Nice to see Bloc Party in the changer, trust me its addictive. I'd like to check out British Sea Power, whats the final verdict?

Adrian
 
Some of this guy's stuff is good... Jules Lost His Jewels was pretty decent, however I didn't care for Crybaby at all. The super-low-fi recording was pretty off putting, it's not cool to sound like crap :P
 
Post a Comment

<< Home